Photobucket />>

The Life and Times of The Big Banana

Start spreading the news...

Saturday, April 12, 2008

John Donne: Holy Sonnets

XIV.
Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

XV
.

Wilt thou love God as he thee ? then digest,
My soul, this wholesome meditation,
How God the Spirit, by angels waited on
In heaven, doth make His temple in thy breast.
The Father having begot a Son most blest,
And still begetting—for he ne'er begun—
Hath deign'd to choose thee by adoption,
Co-heir to His glory, and Sabbath' endless rest.
And as a robb'd man, which by search doth find
His stolen stuff sold, must lose or buy it again,
The Sun of glory came down, and was slain,
Us whom He had made, and Satan stole, to unbind.
'Twas much, that man was made like God before,
But, that God should be made like man, much more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Skinniyah said...

That stuff is chock full of Trinitarian Theological terms, some of which I never even would have caught had I not just studied it. What kind of mad poet is this, and I mean that enviously.

April 21, 2008 1:18 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Ha, I'm a huge fan of Donne's sonnets, especially the 14th! Always loved it.

May 18, 2008 6:11 AM  
Blogger Suzana said...

Yeah whatever, you've just always wanted to be like me....

And skinniyah, he's a wicked mad poet, that Johnnie...

May 31, 2008 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home